Whatever your lifestyle choice, our programs are designed to help keep you in the best of health.
Otterbein’s physical and social activities enrich your spirit and brighten each day. Our fitness equipment tones muscle. Exercise classes keep you supple. Scenic walking trails provide sun, fresh air and a spiritual lift. Countless activities await you every day.
The healthcare professionals in our wellness services clinic keep an eye on your overall health. You visit twice a month. If your needs change, we help you plan the next level of care.
- Recreational, education and cultural programs
- Monthly wellness screenings, blood pressure, weight and pulse checks
- Worship and chaplaincy services
- 24-hour security call system
- Access to on-site assisted living, skilled nursing and rehab services if ever needed
Assisted living is different for everyone. The goal is to keep you enjoying your life in comfort, as independently as possible.
Assisted living basically means that you will receive regularly scheduled help with some of life’s daily activities. Like meals, housekeeping and transportation. Our health care professionals work with you to customize a plan.
Together, you’ll determine how much or how little assistance you need day to day. Services range from minimal support to concentrated services for specialized needs. We’ll review your plan regularly and adjust as needed.
- Meals served three times daily, including preparation of special diets if needed
- Weekly housekeeping and linens service
- Licensed nurse on duty 24 hours a day
- State-tested nursing assistants on duty 24 hours a day
- 24-hour security call system
- Exercise programs, cultural and recreational activities
- Assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming*
- Medication management*
Nursing is an honored, trusted profession prized highly at Otterbein. You benefit from our high nurse-to-patient ratio.
Registered nurses (RNs), licensed practical nurses (LPNs), and state-tested nursing assistants staff our Portage Valley care teams. They manage, observe and evaluate your care on a routine basis.
Each nurse is a member of an interdisciplinary team working to coordinate specialized care as prescribed by your physician. With their help, you follow an individualized and complete plan of care.
Our nurses, along with all our staff at Otterbein, advocate for your wellness and dignity. You are always encouraged to meet your fullest physical, mental, social and spiritual potential.
- Licensed nurses on duty 24 hours a day
- Nursing assistants on duty 24 hours a day
- Emergency call system 24 hours a day
- Medication administration
- Therapeutic programming
- Short-term rehabilitation and long-term care
- Certified for both Medicare and Medicaid
Our dedicated, licensed therapists help restore your abilities on both an outpatient or inpatient basis.
If you’re recovering from surgery, a hospital stay or an acute incident, Otterbein Portage Valley has a customized on-site therapy program for you. Speech and language therapists help you improve your communications. Occupational therapists build up your skills with day-to-day tasks. Our physical therapists treat injury or dysfunction with movement and massage.
If needed, you may practice your program in an in-patient welcoming home environment with private suites, baths and home-cooked meals. Nurturing personal care and individual choice is available to everyone—while you stay as social and autonomous as possible!
For those who need outpatient therapy, we have that, too! Our therapy team enjoys working with folks who live in the area and need physical, speech or occupational therapy! Convenient appointment times are always available!
We never stop working to help you achieve as much independence, meaning and satisfaction possible — in every aspect of your life.
At Otterbein Portage Valley, your activities counselor works with you to create a plan for optimal personal development. One that encompasses your physical, spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and vocational wellbeing.
We take care of your basic needs, freeing you to become the person God wants you to be. And you become that person by doing things that are educational, cultural, healthful or just plain fun.
- Making new friends
- Formal and informal gatherings
- Enjoying communal meals
- Ongoing learning opportunities
- Music and lecture programs
- Reading groups, computer training
- Group games and puzzles
- Arts, crafts, woodworking, cooking
- Scheduled outings
- Chaplain and worship services
- Fitness programs, yoga
- Gardening and fishing